The Eighth Army Air Force's story began on the 19 January 1942, it was formally activated on 28 January 1942 at the Chatham Armory in Savannah, Georgia. Located at Hunter Field, with Colonel Asa N. Duncan being appointed as it's first commander.
The following month Brigadier General Ira C. Eaker took the Eighth Air Force Bomber Command Head Quarters element to England, making thier base at High Wycombe, about 40 miles west of London. In May 1942 Command of the 8th Air Force was assumed by Major General Carl A. `Tooey' Spaatz. He established the 8th Air Force Headquarters at Bushy Park (Teddington, Middlesex), 15 miles west southwest of the center of London . The 'Mighty Eighth' had arrived.
© Buckenham Aviation Centre Ltd. Website aviare.co